Iftar Time!

I don’t make it a secret that I normally do not cook. However, doing Iftar (meal for breaking fast) I usually try to pitch in.

A common food for Iftar time is Pakroa ( a fried snack)  this is also the only time of the year my family makes fried food. There is something about fasting all day that makes you crave fried goodies.

To start off you gather all your ingredients:

• (1/2) Teaspoon Garam Masala
  • (1/2) Teaspoon Chili Powder
  • (1/2) Teaspoon  Ground Turmeric
  • (1/2) Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Handful Coriander
  • Chop up 1 small potato
  • Chop up 1/2 an onion

Picture 538

Picture 539

Picture 541

Picture 542

• Gram Flour ( Chickpea Flour)- 1 Cup

Picture 544

Mix in all the dry ingredients

Picture 545

Picture 546

• Add 3/4 cup water slowly

Picture 547

Mix away to form a thick smooth batter

Picture 550

In 1 quart of oil ( I used olive oil) add 1 teaspoon of batter)

Picture

You want to space them out evenly and enjoy when golden brown!

Picture 555

My 2nd favorite Iftar dish includes beef patties.

We always have puffed pastry sheets in the freezer, they are a quick and easy addition to every meal.

Picture 537

Each box comes with three long sheets and with the addition of two more cuts you can make 9 squares.

Picture 551

To each square I added 1 teaspoon of premade ground beef ( you can also add a mixture of potatoes/ peas for a veggie version)

Picture 553

I folded each square diagonally

Picture 552

And gently pressed the ends down with a fork

Picture 549

Picture 540

I baked them for 30 mins at 350 degrees, until they were golden brown.

Picture 556

We enjoyed both the Meat patties and the Pakora with a side of dippers.

• Salsa
  • Date Chutney
  • Coriander Chutney

Picture 554

It is truly a treat to enjoy these dishes during this time of the year!

Does your family have any dishes they enjoy during certain times of the year?

This entry was posted in Food and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Iftar Time!

1. ellen says:

Mmmmm… these both look amazing! And pretty easy too (esp. the second one). I LOVE Indian food, and am just baby-stepping my way into cooking it myself. I’ll give these two a try – thanks!

2. Sana says:

@Ellen: Trust me when I say these are easy to make! And I never cook! These dishes are very easy to veggify:)

3. Nicole says:

I agree Indian food seems so intimidating to make. Tastes great, but I’m too unframiliar with ingredients to feel comfortable. But everything looks SO good!

4. Monet says:

Please have me over for dinner! I love this type of food, but I’m always too scared to try and make it at home. I would love to have you as a teacher (even though you think you aren’t an expert…you sure seem like one to me!)

5. Sana says:

@Monet: I am spoiled because my mother is an amazing cook! But the hardest part is getting the ingredients. And if you have an Indian grocery store nearby it is even easier!

6. omg those pakora look so great!
    I looove them but I wish they were healthier… I need to try making a baked version!

7. I am terrified to fry anything. I’m convinced I’ll burn my entire arm LOL
    The only thing that’s coming to mind right now is pumpkin – once September hits, it’s pumpkin everything until we’re pumpkin’d out by November:)

8. Sana says:

@Nicole: It can be tough to figure out ingredients that you are unfamiliar with. But if their is an Indian grocery store near where you live they should be happy to help!

9. Sana says:

@Paige: Me too! Thankfully we only deep fry during our holiday season. I stand a foot away from the stove!!

10. Mmmm I love puffed pastry!!

My dad ALWAYS, and I mean without fail, cooks a ham at Christmas. I’m convinced he does it more so that he can have leftovers all week than for the tradition of it. Seeing as I detest pork, this works out really well for him.

11. Sana says:

@Sonia: You can bake them! My mom made them that way for my dad. They are more softer and cake-like but still taste great. They won’t be light brown, just more reddish! Left me know how it goes :)!

12. Lin says:

Great recipe Sana! Although I’m terrified of deep fryers, I think I might have to bite the bullet and try this (or get my roommate to do the frying lol). I might also try the baking method.

13. Sana says:

@Lin: There are def ways to bake- I just googled and found this! Let me know how it goes :) http://www.trendyrelish.com/2008/09/baked-onion-pakoda.html

14. Ameena says:

I love pakoras and I love puff pastry. I recently learned the hard way that fillo dough is very different from puff pastry! I will have to try this again.

Now I’ll be thinking of iftaar all day long and I have about 12 hours to go!

15. Yay! I’m so glad you did a post on Ramadan snacks! Sadly, so much of fasting is about the iftar snack (for me anyway) that I can’t imagine Ramadan without the snacks! And um, how impressed am I at your pakoras? Mine are always flat with spider legs. Yours are round and fat, like they are supposed to be :)

16. kate says:

These dishes look so good! I need to be in Baltimore, ASAP!

17. Sana says:

@Ameena: As my mom and I were making these I told her about your fillo dough experience. We laughed, in a good way <3

18. Love your new header. It makes me smile. :)

19. Sana says:

@Mary: Aww! Thanks! You make me smile- I hope you are feeling better :)

20. Jen says:

Mmmm that looks so good!

I love your new header! It’s so catchy and awesome, and so you! :)

21. Matt says:

You know I <3 Indian food ;)

22. Sana says:

@Matt: Are you shocked that I actually cooked something?

23. These are some of my favorite foods! They look so so excellent, I’m totally craving Indian food now. Yummm

24. They look delicious Sana! Now will you come over here and make some for me please????? :)