College Times: Volunteering

Note about series: As I begin my senior year of college I want to recap some of my experiences during this time. These experiences are me, and what I will look back on for the rest of my life.

As I begin my last year in college, I know I should have the feelings of a brand new start. However, I am more in the mode to end my undergraduate career and move on with my future. I have had the opportunity to start several projects on campus and I look forward to finishing them up.

One thing I have been passionate about during my college career is volunteering. I have done several projects over the past 3 years at UMBC and over 300 hours of community service.

I have volunteered at homeless shelters, hospitals, nursing homes and soup kitchens.

Yes, volunteer work looks awesome on a resume, however I do it for an entirely different reason.

I volunteer because it allows me to know exactly what I am doing, and that is to serve.

“It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.” – Albert Einstein

This quote at the bottom of my blog sums it all up. I had had some of the most successful and difficult times while volunteering.

image

Working with the youth at an outreach center in Baltimore

image

Administered vision screening to inner city youth

image

Giving a preview of the kickboxing class that I taught at the outreach center

image

Planting a garden at a homeless shelter

image

Charity auction dinner to benefit the homeless shelter

Volunteering allows me to take a small vision and see the big picture. and at the very same time it is an extremely frustrating picture.

But in the end I know that I am not there to change the world, I can only do what I know best and that is to serve.

College has provided me with  many opportunities to volunteer and serve in my local community. As I spend my last year at many of these sites I hope to continue what I have started.

In some shape or form we all serve.

Where do you serve in your local community? Is it at home? Or in the workplace?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to College Times: Volunteering

1. Marina says:

I really admire you, you are such a great selfless person.
    I haven’t done any of the community work, not yet. Maybe some day…
    I’ll be a veterinarian, so hopefully, I’ll be able to help a lot of animals and put back into the world… :)

2. Sana says:

@Marina: That is amazing! There are soo many animals that need care! You will be very busy!

3. Amber says:

That is awesome – good for you! I did a bit of volunteering at a homeless shelter in college but I have to admit it was because the hours were required for a class. Now that I’m done school and not insanely busy like before I hope to do more volunteering in my community. I’d like to walk dogs at the local animal shelter!

4. Jen says:

Aww, I love that you’re going to look back on your college career and share stuff! I’m going to live vicariously through you :)

I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity through college, at community centers in grad school and now I coach for Girls on the Run- which is the best volunteering job ever :)

5. You are an inspiration Super Sana!! This is a great reminder to me to get back out there and help the community, family or anything I believe in a little bit more!

Love this!

xxoo

6. Monet says:

Wonderful post and such an important message. We should all volunteer more in our local communities. It is evident you have done some great work! I have tutored at several inner city schools, volunteered at Girl’s Inc, worked at homeless shelters, and done some clean-up projects around town. So much fun!

7. hira says:

sana, i didnt know you went to UMBC!! im currently in my last year at UMD in college park—but im studying abroad this semester, as i told you before- in italy!

good for you, volunteering is a great way to connect with the community and really reach out. ive done a ton of activist work on campus and loove the DC scene. the liberal, ngo/non profit scene.

anyway, im so glad that you go to school so close to me!