The Cook in Me…

I am not sure if I have mentioned this on the blog, but I do have a reason for not cooking.

Thanksgiving 2006, my mom asked me to check on the turkey that was roasting in the oven.

The turkey was turning golden brown, and smelled amazing. I reported back to my mom that all was good.

And went on my way.

All was not so good. A few moments later the kitchen filled with smoke and flames were shooting out of the oven.

We were able to salvage the turkey, but I was no longer allowed to use the oven.

Some how in the middle of checking on the turkey, I had left an oven mitt INSIDE the oven.

So for the past 5 years I have been making do with things that don’t require actual stove and oven use.

Picture 829

I am pretty sure my first time eating an avocado was in guacamole from from Chipotle.

Picture 830 The only non-Indian food consumed at my house came in a kit. Avocados not included.

Picture 833 Holy pit!

Picture 836 So, mashing my have gotten a little bit messy. I got avocado in places avocado does not go. Like my pants…Oh and I used my hands to mash. Don’t judge.

Picture 840 Things got a wee bit messy!

Picture 843

Picture 845 I added some color with 3/4 of a tomato

Picture 846 Some tart with 1/2 a lime

Picture 849 What do I do with this pit? Plant a avocado tree?

Picture 850 I seasoned with lots of pepper, salt and chili flakes.

Picture 857 Next time I will add some garlic and onion. That is if I decide to cook again that is.

Actually I am just going to Chipotle. It’s less messy!

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Cook in Me…

1. Dan says:

Well done Sana! Just keep trying and you’ll get the hang of it…eventually

2. Dominic says:

Lol, I enjoyed your story about the turkey.

If you are really into Chipotle, check out the BOGO burrito they’re having this weekend! Take a friend and split the cost ^.^ You just have to make sure you check in on a smart phone.

I can totally relate to the guacamole, the first time I tried making it, it was creamy but kind of bland. I tried so many different things. I think I’m going to try and add some jalapeno next time for a nice kick, as even tobasco was masked by the creaminess!

3. alex says:

it isn’t ‘messy,’ it is ‘rustic.’

important distinction that makes everything serve-able!

4. Amanda says:

Mashed with hands or not, that guacamole looks absolutely amazing to me!!!

5. Jen says:

Bahahaa! I love this story. And I am not a fan of cooking either. I’ve had my share of mishaps :)

6. Nadia says:

if you can make guacamole you can make anything ;)

7. Susan says:

Chipotle does have the best guacamole! Sometimes a little mess is good! :)

8. Yum Yucky says:

Oven mitt FAIL! ahahaha! Sorry, Sana. But at least that guac is looking on POINT. waaazooo! (happy weekend)

9. Monet says:

Killer guacamole! I would love to share a bowl with you :-) Were you able to track down that carrot pie recipe? I want to give it a try tomorrow. I’ve been thinking about it constantly!

10. Haha girl I feel ya, I have burned things waaaay too many times..yet I’m an oven/stove lover. I love your stories, they made me smile! And especially the fact you mashed your avocado with your hands – I’ll have to try that sometime ;)

11. Pingback: Finding The Inner Cook | Super Sana!