From Mama’s Kitchen to your commuter screen, we are bringing you some delicious Chicken Biryani!
What you will need:
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Basmati Rice 2 cups
- Garam Masala 1/4 tsp
- Chili Powder 1/2 tsp
- Green Pepper 3/4
- Garlic Ginger Paste 1 tsp
- Onion 1 medium
- Salt 1 1/2 tsp
- Food coloring (Orange)
- Chicken 1 lb any type of chicken legs, breast and thigh
- Tomato 4 Medium sized
- Cilantro Few stems
- Oil 2 tbs
- Lemon 1
1. Cook tomatoes on a medium heat until they are soft and soupy. Cool to room temperature and blend into a paste. (Do in advance, takes about 45 minutes)
2. Marinate chicken (1lb) in garlic ginger paste, salt, turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala. (Do in advance and marinate overnight or 2 hours before cooking if you are in a rush.) And if you are in a rush, save this recipe for another day, you need to take your time with this one.
3. Chop up an onion and fry in oil until lightly brown. In a separate, medium pot bring to boil 8 cups of water with 1 tsp salt.
4. Add the chicken to the fried onion, and when the chicken is lightly brown add the tomato paste.
5. After 30 minutes of cooking the chicken with the tomato paste add more salt & pepper to taste with green chili pepper, cilantro and juice from 1 lemon.
6. Make sure the chicken pieces are full submerged into the tomato sauce. And leave it on low heat for an additional 30 minutes.
7. At the same time add 2 cups basmati rice to 8 cups of rapidly boiling water. Cook the rice on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, the rice will be half cooked. . NOTE: the rice needs to be cooked in the last 30 minutes that the chicken is sitting at a low heat in step 6. The rice will be half cooked.
8. Drain the water and layer the rice on top of the tomato curry with chicken, garnish with cilantro, onions and add food coloring. Make sure the stove is on high for a minute.
9. Bring the stove down to a low heat to allow the rice to cook in the steam of the curry for 20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
10. Mix and serve with some minty greek yogurt dip.
I know animal captions are super lame, but look who stopped by as I was shooting this recipe!