A Super Magical Run

Did you guys know it was National Running Day yesterday?

National Running Day 2012

Top: Lululemon

Bottom: New Balance

I don’t like to brand match.

2012-06-06_19-15-37_619

I never expected to go for a “run” yesterday, I set off on a walk with my mom and sister and I figured I would just jog for a bit. I simply put one foot in front of the other and kept moving. The weather was perfect for a early evening jog, sunny and slightly breezy.

I personally find running to be very difficult, I am not a natural runner and I am certainly not in a shape to be out running. However, something was different about the run yesterday (and by running I mean slow jogging), it was easy.

I will probably never use the words easy and running in the same sentence ever again, but I honestly felt like I was floating.

So when 10 minutes rolled by I did not want to stop. In fact, I kept on jogging for a total of 26 minutes.

It took me 26 minutes to jog 2 miles. I realize that I am not setting any records here and I should have stopped at just 1 mile, but something in me just wanted to keep going. And I am so glad I did.

Because even if my back hurts again (and it’s slightly sore now) I will always have this perfect and magical run to look back on.

IMG_8429

Gah, I was so freaking happy and proud of myself. I have spent over 365 days trying to fix my back and $500 for two rounds of physical therapy all for this perfectly magical run.

IMG_8432

After I ran/ jogged I spent a lot of time stretching, doing my PT exercises and praying that I did not majorly screw up my back.

This was the best National Running Day ever!!

Have you ever had a magical run?

This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Super Magical Run

1. Jenny says:

Awesome! I’m sure you feel like a million bucks right now. Way to go!

2. Definitely have those magical runs sometimes, love them! I also do not like to brand match :) It would be way to difficult and why not mix and match? Just seeing your blog for the first time from #FF. Good stuff! Look forward to reading more. Happy running! :)

Hahah, I try to match since I teach fitness classes but it is almost impossible! Thanks you for stopping by and leaving a comment, I really appreciate the FF support!

3. Anne says:

It is so nice to read someone that someone else doesn’t feel like a natural runner. I feel all floppy and un-coordinated. I know I need to do this.

Thank you for the inspiration.

As far as your back goes, I worry about my 6 year old daughter. She has Lipomyelomeningocele, Tethered Spinal Cord and Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel. she has been untethered twice (plus one debridement surgery). I worry about her having a life of back pain when she gets older.

I always get pissed off when I read other blogs about running easy, because it is anything but. However I think the conditions lined up perfectly for me and that is rare. I am always floppy and I am sure I looked like I was shuffling, but I was running as part of a the ” I Don’t Give a Crap” club.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter, honestly I have no idea how I hurt my back and the only thing I can suggest is working with a PT to make sure her core is strong?

• Anne says:

Actually, her Neurosurgeon gave the okay for her to start gymnastics. She has her first class Saturday morning. I told her do what you an without hurting yourself.

Definitely her keeping a strong core and being lean is important. She does see a Physical Therapist for leg weakness (she wears a KAFO brace on her left leg and hinged AFO on the right).

Good for your daughter! I know before my injury I took the ability to walk and run for granted, some people don’t even get to do that! Gymnastics sounds like fun!

4. Kierston says:

Way to go!!! I had a magical run last Friday! It was absolutely amazing :)

5. i think what you described is why i fell in love with running, it was soooo stinkin hard and then suddenly I could do it…then it was hard, but I kept doing it…then another day where it just felt good. It’s a strange excitement

If my back could deal with running on a regular basis, I would totally fall head over heels in love with running. Currently we are “it’s complicated” on FB.

6. SIL says:

I have had several magical runs. I love them all equally. Great job!

7. Maren says:

Yay for celebrating national running day! Whoo hoo. I love your pictures.

8. Sonal says:

Well done Sana! I don’t find running easy at all, so running for 26 min is a great achievement :) glad that you enjoyed the moment so much!

9. Minerva says:

I know exactly how you felt. Sometimes all the elements just click and a jog can be relaxing and almost therapeutic, rather than uncoordinated torture (how I often feel). It’s definitely a magical feeling!