The very first time I had to deal with back pain like this was when I was 19 years-old and did not think anything of it. I resumed all normal physical activity and just assumed that I would just shake off the pain.
After all, when back pain comes out of the blue it’s usually something that will just go away, right?
Here are just a few things I am doing a little differently this time around. I would hope that I am a bit wiser five years later.
1. I have not exercised in almost two weeks. These days it’s a workout just getting out of bed and getting dressed for the day.
2. I made a doctor’s appointment as soon as I knew the pain was back for good. I waited three days to make sure it was the real deal and not something else. Last time I avoided the doctor because they only tried to give me painkillers.
3. I have been focusing on other aspects healthy living. It’s no secret, that I absolutely love running and biking for reasons other than weight loss/ being healthy. But they are a huge aspect of my life considering that I work in the health and fitness industry. What does that mean? Drinking all the kale.
4. I cut my hair.
5. I constantly remind myself that even though I am miserable, things could be a lot worse. I know that once I am back in physical therapy things will get better.
6. I have to keep myself away from craigslist so I don’t sell all my running gear/bike. Last time I sold my Garmin…
7. I am trying my best not to complain to my friends/ on social media. This is not the end of the world. But it does help to vent online…
8. I don’t delete the e-mails from the running groups that I am a part of because eventually I will be back.
9. I am trying SO HARD not to eat my feelings. Last time around I gained almost 40 lbs that I have not even completely lost as of yet. But I love wings, fries, philly cheesesteaks and cookies. They make me a happy girl.
10. I am trying to focus on all the things that I can do, maybe this is a sign that I finally need to learn how to swim?
The key word here is try. And that is all that I can hope to do!
How do you deal with injuries?