Army Ten Miler Training+Update {VLOG}

A little video intro to get things rolling today!

I had every intention of blogging weekly about my training for the Army-Ten Miler. However, the last thing I wanted to do after a long day of running + working was to blog about it all.


So I did not.

I did however, post on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. So hopefully those of you who wanted to keep up with my training were able to do so.

Just to recap, I ran the Army Ten Miler on October 12th. My first time ever running that distance. I was able to run for the Ulman Cancer Fund and had several generous friends, family members and blog reader help me accomplish my fundraising goal. As of today we were able to raise $525 for the Ulman Cancer Fund.


This is my first time doing a fundraiser/race for charity and it was a wonderfully rewarding experience.

I will say that while I was training for this race, I was terrified of what I had signed up for. I think that fear is what carried me through every run. I made sure to run 3-4 times a week. It usually ended up just being three days due to my schedule.

For all of my runs I made sure I had a buddy to do it with. Just having someone with me made me keep running despite wanting to just stop and go eat a slice of pizza.

I have a pretty good idea of what my body is capable of and I knew that I could not show up on race day and expect to bang out 10 miles.

I needed to put in the work in order to run a distance I had never run before.

So for the first time in my life I found a training plan and I stuck to it. I did have to rearrange some runs, but for the most part I was able to get in every single run.

In order to get those runs I either ran at 5:30am or 7pm. It is not easy training for a race in the dark when all you want to do is crawl back into bed!


I wrote down every run I needed to according to Hal-Higdon’s Novice 15k Training Plan and just did it. I wanted to go into the race knowing that I had done everything I possibly could have to get myself in shape to run 10 miles.

I had some hard runs.

I had some runs where I was barely running at a 16:00 min/mile pace.

I had some runs that were hot, hilly and humid.

I had some runs that were so stinky (dead animals) that I almost puked.

I had some runs where I ran screaming into the middle of the street because I thought a wild animal was chasing me (your imagination tends to run wild when you are running at 5:30 am in total darkness)

5:30 am running crew.


I felt strong running anywhere from 3-6 miles. I was able do them pretty effortlessly. Those were distances I had been running for the past few years and I knew I was able to do them.

It was anything after 6 miles that really caused me some concern. I knew I needed to fit in an 8 mile run and the only time I had to do it was about 3 weeks before the race.

Looking back I still don’t know if this was a good idea or not but I ran my FIRST ever 8 mile run as part of a two person 16 mile relay race. Basically, I was going to run 8 miles to my partner and have them finish up the rest of the race. On September 21st I ran the Metric Marathon Relay . I have already decided that next year I am going to run the whole distance, 26.2km.

Metric Logo

I ended up going back and forth if I would come up with a relay team to do the race. I had almost decided not to do it at all and just run 8 miles all on my own. A few days before the race a running friend of mine could not run with her husband due to an injury. I stupidly decided to volunteer myself for the first relay leg.

Within minutes of starting the race I was in last place. It was just me and the bike dude who was sweeper. And I basically spent my first 8 mile run chit chatting with a total stranger about food and dead bodies. It was kind of awesome.


Miles 1-6 were pretty decent. Miles 7 and 8 were hard. I walked up the hills as I ate some sustenance. I basically waited wayy too late in the game and I was starving.


However, I felt the worst after the run. I had a migraine and it took everything I had to get home and straight into bed. But, I got a pretty sweet medal out of the whole deal!


I was extremely nervous after that 8 mile performance because due to family events and religious holiday celebrations I was only able to fit in a long run of 6 miles before the 10-miler race.

On the days I did not run:

I slept in.

I rode my bike.

I walked.

I did PiYo.

I stretched and foam rolled.

My biggest fear was that I would get a cold or get injured before race day. I took all the Vitamin C packets in the world and drank lots of Immune Support tea the week before.

I definitely could not have trained for this race alone, I am so glad I had awesome friends to run with at the most random hours of the day.

Luckily, I arrived on race day in pretty good condition. Now all I had to do was run the 10 miles……

More video posts? Yay or Nay?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.